Saturday, January 21, 2012

Magnetic Chalkboard

What can you make with a $10 drip pan from Wal-Mart and chalkboard paint? Well a magnetic chalkboard of course! Surprisingly the hardest part of this venture was finding blackboard chalk. Once we located some chalk we were all set for playing school, writing notes, free drawing, and so much more. And best of all I'd finally found a place where the letter magnets could live. The front of my fridge has never looked so clean and clutter free.  Then I decided I wanted to take my new activity area to the next level.
Thinking along the lines of a story board I printed off different farm pictures, had them laminated, cut them out and stuck a magnet on the back. Viola! My little kids love to rearrange, name and play with the farm animals and the big kids enjoy doing story rounds. "On the farm today..." is how we start and everyone gets to take a turn deciding what's going to happen on the farm next. It's so much fun watching their minds work on developing their next story line and seeing them think about, process, and then approve of where their peers have taken the story is truly amazing. I'm already thinking about what other kinds of story boards we could create... sky's the limit!

No comments:

Post a Comment